[petsc-users] PetscLogFlop for a sqrt()

Justin Chang jychang48 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 12:23:37 CDT 2015

Last question

I would like to report the efficiency of my code. That is, flops/s over the
theoretical peak performance (on n-cores). Where the TPP is clock *
FLOPS/cycle * n. My current machine is a Intel® Core™ i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
and I am assuming that the FLOPS/cycle is 4.

One of my serial test runs has achieved a FLOPS/s of 2.01e+09, which
translates to an efficiency of almost 14%. I know these are crude
measurements but would these manual flop counts be appropriate for this
kind of measurement? Or would hardware counts from PAPI?

Thanks,
Justin