[petsc-users] TimeStepper norm problems. EMIL Please read this

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 09:25:22 CDT 2015

On 16 April 2015 at 16:44, Emil Constantinescu <emconsta at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> On 4/16/15 2:13 AM, Lisandro Dalcin wrote:
>>
>> On 16 April 2015 at 04:51, Emil Constantinescu <emconsta at mcs.anl.gov>
>> wrote:

>>> Hi Lisandro - we checked ts_alpha_adapt and we tested it on a small
>>> system
>>> (mildly stiff van der Pol ODE). I enclosed a Figure generated by Debo
>>> that
>>> compares the error at the final time against ATOL - there alpha is the
>>> original one (with original adaptor).
>>

>> Original adaptor? Do you mean
>> TSAlphaSetAdapt(ts,TSAlphaAdaptDefault,NULL)?
>>
>> In such a case, no surprises, TSAlphaAdaptDefault() is quite naive, it
>> does not estimate the LTE, it is actually based in the change of the
>> solution.
>

> Yups, that's the one;

I was the author of TSAlphaAdaptDefault (the whole TSALPHA, in fact).
I coded that beast "out of desperation" long time ago. This thing is
not even implemented withing the current TSAdapt framework!. I think
at least we should re-implement this beast within TSAdapt (I mean,
similar as in -ts_theta_adapt).

> but that still needs to be available unless a better
> one-step one is implemented.

I think you have that feeling simply because TSAlphaAdaptDefault()
seems to work, but if you look carefully at the code, it does not make
sense from the point of view of a LTE-based theory.

 OK, Then let's define a poor's man one-step adapt that at least have
some sense. How would you implement adaptivity for backward Euler or
the midpoint rule? Something based exclusively in some l2/inf norm of
Xdot? IOW, we define LTE = X^{n+1} - X^n of O(\delta_t) and use the
usual formula with exponent order=1 ?

> Note however that even estimating exactly LTE
> is not a guarantee that the error will be within ATOL.

Well, ATOL is to keep the LTE under control, of course there are no
guarantees about the global error at the end step. That's what you
meant?

--
Lisandro Dalcin

4700 King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
al-Khawarizmi Bldg (Bldg 1), Office # 4332
Thuwal 23955-6900, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
http://www.kaust.edu.sa

Office Phone: +966 12 808-0459