[petsc-users] Caught signal number 10 BUS: Bus Error

Justin Chang jchang27 at uh.edu
Tue Apr 14 21:20:31 CDT 2015

Hello everyone,

My program runs fine, with debug mode, on my Ubuntu laptop, but when I run
the same code on my iMac (Yosemite) with no debug, I get this error:

[0]PETSC ERROR:
[0]PETSC ERROR: Caught signal number 10 BUS: Bus Error, possibly illegal
memory access
[0]PETSC ERROR: Try option -start_in_debugger or -on_error_attach_debugger
[0]PETSC ERROR: or see
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/documentation/faq.html#valgrind
[0]PETSC ERROR: or try http://valgrind.org on GNU/linux and Apple Mac OS X
to find memory corruption errors
[0]PETSC ERROR: configure using --with-debugging=yes, recompile, link, and
run
[0]PETSC ERROR: to get more information on the crash.
[0]PETSC ERROR: --------------------- Error Message
[0]PETSC ERROR: Signal received
[0]PETSC ERROR: See http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/documentation/faq.html for
trouble shooting.
[0]PETSC ERROR: Petsc Development GIT revision: v3.5.3-2687-g3beb275  GIT
Date: 2015-04-14 12:56:30 -0500
[0]PETSC ERROR: ./main on a arch-darwin-c-debug named CAML-03.CIVE.UH.EDU
by jychang48 Tue Apr 14 21:09:31 2015
[0]PETSC ERROR: Configure options --download-chaco --download-ctetgen
--download-exodusii --download-fblaslapack --download-hdf5 --download-metis
--download-mumps --download-netcdf --download-openmpi --download-parmetis
--download-scalapack --download-triangle --with-cc=gcc --with-cmake=cmake
--with-cxx=g++ --with-debugging=0 --with-fc=gfortran --with-valgrind=1
CFLAGS= CXXFLAGS= PETSC_ARCH=arch-darwin-c-debug
[0]PETSC ERROR: #1 User provided function() line 0 in  unknown file
MPI_ABORT was invoked on rank 0 in communicator MPI_COMM_WORLD
with errorcode 59.

NOTE: invoking MPI_ABORT causes Open MPI to kill all MPI processes.
You may or may not see output from other processes, depending on
exactly when Open MPI kills them.
Primary job  terminated normally, but 1 process returned
a non-zero exit code.. Per user-direction, the job has been aborted.
mpiexec detected that one or more processes exited with non-zero status,
thus causing
the job to be terminated. The first process to do so was:

  Process name: [[11164,1],0]
  Exit code:    59

Can someone explain what this error means to me? Basically, I have an FEM
code (using DMPlex), with auxiliary field coefficients, and this error
occurs when I compute the Jacobian via SNESComputeJacobian(...). This error
doesn't happen on my Ubuntu laptop.

Justin Chang
PhD Candidate, Civil Engineering - Computational Sciences
University of Houston, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Houston, TX 77004
(512) 963-3262