[petsc-users] PETSc for distributed computing?

Hong hzhang at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Apr 10 10:22:41 CDT 2015

Georgios Samaras :

> We (my professor (cc) and I) would like to solve a linear system involving
> a dense matrix, but we have not yet think of the number of right hand
> sides, but we are working on it.

As Barry mentioned, you can either use elemental directly, or use
petsc-elemental interface. An example can be found at
~petsc/src/mat/examples/tests/ex145.c

You may use petsc KSP interface instead. I just modified
~petsc/src/ksp/ksp/examples/tutorials/ex2.c

https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/commits/1cc583424d1965a1a245571240baab92605aba58

so this example can be run with elemental with runtime options
$ mpiexec -n 3 ./ex2 -pc_type lu -pc_factor_mat_solver_package elemental
-mat_type elemental
Norm of error 2.81086e-15 iterations 1

Suggest using petsc-dev (master branch) for petsc-elemental interface.

Hong