[petsc-users] iterative solvers

Manav Bhatia bhatiamanav at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 07:06:56 CDT 2015

Hi,

   I am solving a transonic Euler flow problem discretized with SUPG. The mesh is made of Tet4 elements and there are about 7M dofs, which I am trying to solve over 192 cores.

   I had earlier written about the linear solver returning with Inf, and have since moved beyond that such that I am able to get a solution with the following command line parameters:

-ksp_gmres_restart 100  -pc_type asm -sub_pc_type ilu -sub_pc_factor_levels 4 -sub_ksp_type preonly

   The problem now is that I am limited to very small time-steps (~10e-6), outside of which the solver starts to choke and the solution diverges. I have tried other command line options and this above combination is what seems to provide the best possible solution strategy, albeit constrained in time steps.

    I would appreciate any recommendations on solver configurations that may allow me to take larger time-steps.

    Would coding up AMG be a possible alternative (more robust and dependable)?

    Please let me know if you need additional information.

Regards,
Manav