[petsc-users] How to set matrix values using "MatSetValuesStencil" when dof>1 idxn -

Feng Shi fshi at fit.edu
Sat Sep 20 12:04:30 CDT 2014

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Feng

From: Barry Smith [bsmith at mcs.anl.gov]
Sent: Saturday, September 20, 2014 12:12 PM
To: Feng  Shi
Cc: Jed Brown; petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov
Subject: Re: [petsc-users] How to set matrix values using "MatSetValuesStencil" when dof>1 idxn -

  When using MatSetValuesStencil() for dof > 1 note that

typedef struct {
  PetscInt k,j,i,c;
} MatStencil;

   For dof > 1 you need to assign the k,j,i AND c value. (c corresponds to the dof) for each entry you put in the matrix. For example
row[0].k = 2; row[0].j=3; row[0].i= 9; row[0].c = 1 (this is for the second dof at the grid point 9,3,2) c=0 is for the first dof

  Only use the blocked stencil form if you really have blocks of non zeros in the matrix (i.e. all the dof are fully coupled with each other and the neighboring points).

  Barry