[petsc-users] Using the PCASM interface to define minimally overlapping subdomains

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Sep 16 14:43:16 CDT 2014

On Sep 16, 2014, at 2:29 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 2:23 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
>    Patrick,
>
>      This "local part of the subdomains for this processor” term in  PCASMSetLocalSubdomains is, IMHO, extremely confusing. WTHWTS? Anyways, I think that if you set the is_local[] to be different than the is[] you will always end up with a nonsymetric preconditioner. I think for one dimension you need to use
>
> No I don't think that is right. The problem below is that you have overlap in only one direction. Process 0 overlaps
> Process 1, but Process 1 has no overlap of Process 0. This is not how Schwarz is generally envisioned.

  Sure it is.

> Imagine the linear algebra viewpoint, which I think is cleaner here. You partition the matrix rows into non-overlapping
> sets. These sets are is_local[]. Then any information you get from another domain is another row, which is put into
> is[]. You can certainly have a non-symmetric overlap, which you have below, but it mean one way information
> transmission which is strange for convergence.

  No, not a all.

|    0      1      2      3     4      5     6    |

  Domain 0 is the region from  |   to  4  with Dirichlet boundary conditions at each end (| and 4). Domain 1 is from 2 to | with Dirichlet boundary conditions at each end (2 and |) .

  If you look at the PCSetUp_ASM() and PCApply_ASM() you’ll see all kinds of VecScatter creations from the various is and is_local, “restriction”, “prolongation” and “localization” then in the apply the different scatters are applied in the two directions, which results in a non-symmetric operator.

   Barry