[petsc-users] FW: LaPlacian 3D example 34.c

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Fri Sep 5 18:03:44 CDT 2014

"Alletto, John M" <john.m.alletto at lmco.com> writes:

> All,
>
> LaPlacian 3D example 34.c - how do you invoke multiGrid ?

Did you read my comment on your scicomp post?

I recommend using src/ksp/ksp/examples/tutorials/ex45.c since it was
written by us (Barry) and is more controllable via run-time options.

  ./ex45 -da_refine 3 -pc_type mg

> In general I am also having to try by trial and error which solvers and preconditioners support 3D objects.

What do you mean?  What have you tried?  Exact command lines and error
messages would be useful, otherwise I have to gaze into my crystal ball
to guess what issues you might be running into.

3D is no different from other dimensions at the algebraic level that
most of PETSc operates at.