[petsc-users] Set matrix column to vector

Mon Sep 1 08:44:54 CDT 2014

Am 01.09.2014 12:45, schrieb Matthew Knepley:
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I want to set the entire column of a N x M matrix to a N vector. What
>> is
>> the best way to do that?
>>
>> My first guess would be to VecGetArray and use that array for
>> MatSetValuesLocal with nrow = VecGetLocalSize. What is the best to say
>> MatSetValuesLocal that I want to set all rows continuesly (same like
>> passing irow = [0, 1, ..., VecGetLocalSize-1]?
>>
>> Any better way?
>>

> You are assuming dense storage above, so you can use
>

> http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/Mat/MatDenseGetArray.html+

How can you tell that I'm assuming dense storage. My matrix is actually
dense, but I try to write my code as generic as possible (being a very
petsc newbie). I have that code which crashes at the moment:

     void set_column_vector(Vector v, int col)
     {
       PetscErrorCode ierr = 0;
       const PetscScalar *vec;
       PetscInt size, mat_rows, mat_cols;
       VecGetLocalSize(v.vector, &size);
       cout << "Vector Size = " << size << endl;

       MatGetSize(matrix, &mat_rows, &mat_cols);
       cout << "Matrix Rows  = " << mat_rows << " Columns = " << mat_cols
<< endl;
       PetscInt irow[size];
       for (int i = 0; i < size; i++) {
         irow[i] = i;
       }

       ierr = VecGetArrayRead(v.vector, &vec); CHKERRV(ierr);
       ierr = MatSetValuesLocal(matrix, size-1, irow, 1, &col, vec,
INSERT_VALUES); CHKERRV(ierr);
       ierr = VecRestoreArrayRead(v.vector, &vec); CHKERRV(ierr);
       ierr = MatAssemblyBegin(matrix, MAT_FINAL_ASSEMBLY);
CHKERRV(ierr);
       ierr = MatAssemblyEnd(matrix, MAT_FINAL_ASSEMBLY); CHKERRV(ierr);
     }

v.vector is a Vec, matrix is a Mat. col = 1. It's compiled with mpic++,
but started without, just ./a.out. Output is:

Vector Size = 20
Matrix Rows  = 20 Columns = 5
[0]PETSC ERROR:
[0]PETSC ERROR: Caught signal number 11 SEGV: Segmentation Violation,
probably memory access out of range
[0]PETSC ERROR: Try option -start_in_debugger or
-on_error_attach_debugger
[0]PETSC ERROR: or see
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/documentation/faq.html#valgrind[0]PETSC
ERROR: or try http://valgrind.org on GNU/linux and Apple Mac OS X to
find memory corruption errors
[0]PETSC ERROR: likely location of problem given in stack below
[0]PETSC ERROR: ---------------------  Stack Frames
------------------------------------
[0]PETSC ERROR: Note: The EXACT line numbers in the stack are not
available,
[0]PETSC ERROR:       INSTEAD the line number of the start of the
function
[0]PETSC ERROR:       is given.
[0]PETSC ERROR: [0] MatSetValuesLocal line 1950
/home/florian/software/petsc/src/mat/interface/matrix.c
[0]PETSC ERROR: --------------------- Error Message
[0]PETSC ERROR: Signal received
[0]PETSC ERROR: See http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/documentation/faq.html
for trouble shooting.
[0]PETSC ERROR: Petsc Release Version 3.5.1, unknown
[0]PETSC ERROR: ./a.out on a arch-linux2-c-debug named asaru by florian
Mon Sep  1 15:37:32 2014
[0]PETSC ERROR: Configure options --with-c2html=0
[0]PETSC ERROR: #1 User provided function() line 0 in  unknown file
MPI_ABORT was invoked on rank 0 in communicator MPI_COMM_WORLD
with errorcode 59.

NOTE: invoking MPI_ABORT causes Open MPI to kill all MPI processes.
You may or may not see output from other processes, depending on
exactly when Open MPI kills them.

Any idea what the problem is?

Thanks!
Florian