[petsc-users] Book for the PETSc finite volume method

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Tue Oct 28 10:44:07 CDT 2014

Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 10:34 AM, Rongliang Chen <rongliang.chan at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a very elementary question. I am trying to learn the PETSc finite
>> volume method codes. Can you tell me which book did you refer to for the
>> PETSc FVM?
>

> PETSc has some support for operations done in finite volume codes, but it
> is very new and primitive. There are no full applications
> that use this. Right now it is an experiment.

There are, however, many full applications based on finite volume
methods that use PETSc for algebraic solvers and even (structured) grid
management.  Matt's comment refers to an experimental discretization
interface called PetscFV that attempts to hide the boilerplate for a
certain class of finite volume methods.

If you are looking for a book on finite volume methods for hyperbolic
problems, I recommend LeVeque's and the PyClaw package (which can use
PETSc for parallelism).