[petsc-users] Multiple solves with PCMG fail

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Oct 21 21:27:06 CDT 2014

  There are a few issues with your code

1) If you use KSPSetComputeRHS() then the function you provide is called immediately before the solve automatically for every solve. Thus your
code with the vector operations here

   ierr = VecSet(ctx.rhs, (float) i * mx); CHKERRQ(ierr);
    ierr = VecScale(ctx.rhs,  rank); CHKERRQ(ierr);
    ierr = KSPSolve(ksp, NULL, NULL); CHKERRQ(ierr);
does nothing. And each linear solve ends up being with a zero right hand side.

2) -pc_type mg doesn’t give enough information for the multigrid to know how many levels to use. In fact it is always using one hence it is not multigrid. You  need to use -p_mg_levels 2 or 3 or whatever to get it to use more than one level.

  Barry

> On Oct 21, 2014, at 1:50 AM, Filippo Leonardi <filippo.leonardi at sam.math.ethz.ch> wrote:
>
> Here,
>
> run this e.g. with
> mpirun -np 4 ./test1 -draw_pause -1 -pc_type mg -pc_mg_galerkin
>
> In Debug mode it crashes, in standard mode it fails. Using Petsc current.
>
> Run without mg and works!
>
> Hope it's not me being stupid and doing something terribly wrong!
>
> Best,
> Filippo
>
> On Monday 20 October 2014 07:29:04 Barry Smith wrote:
>>  Can you send us the code: to petsc-maint at mcs.anl.gov or
>> petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov ? Or something that reproduces the problem?
>>
>>  Barry
>>
>>> On Oct 20, 2014, at 3:31 AM, Filippo Leonardi
>>> <filippo.leonardi at sam.math.ethz.ch> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a very specific problem that I cannot figure out with PCMG and
>>> multiple solves. I got a linear system that I solve many times, with same
>>> matrix but different RHS. I can successfully solve the system with
>>> standard techniques, such as default solver or LU or PCGAMG. Even MG
>>> works if I destroy the ksp each time or I recompute the matrices at each
>>> time. But when I try and go to MG and not recomputing the matrices each
>>> time the solver fails. Any idea?
>>>
>>> Here some detail: the setup:
>>> ierr = KSPSetDMActive(ksp, PETSC_FALSE); CHKERRQ(ierr);
>>> ierr = KSPSetDM(ksp,  da); CHKERRQ(ierr);
>>> ierr = KSPSetComputeOperators(ksp, ComputeMatrix, ctx); CHKERRQ(ierr);
>>> ierr = KSPSetComputeRHS(ksp, ComputeRHS, ctx); CHKERRQ(ierr);