[petsc-users] Problem with PETSc + HDF5 VecView

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Wed Nov 26 07:23:43 CST 2014

Håkon Strandenes <haakon at hakostra.net> writes:

> My local HPC group have found a solution to this problem:
> On MPT it is possible to set an environment variable MPI_TYPE_DEPTH with
> default value 8. The MPI_TYPE_DEPTH variable limits the maximum depth of
> derived datatypes that an application can create.

What a horrible thing.  I wonder who made the decision to add this
artificial limit despite upstream MPICH not having any such limit.
Sounds like a regression to me and I recommend reporting it as such.

> I have found that setting this to at least 32 will make my examples run
> perfectly on up to 256 processes. No error messages what so ever, and in
> my simple load and write dataset roundtrip h5diff compares the two
> datasets and finds then identical. I also notice that Leibniz
> Rechenzentrum recommend to set this variable to 100 (or some other
> suitably large value) when using NetCDF together with MPT
> (https://www.lrz.de/services/software/io/netcdf/).
>
> This bug have been a pain in the (***)... Perhaps it is worthy a FAQ entry?

Yes, and tell procurement folks that you consider it to be a bug.

What if your web browser could only display pages with less than 8
images?