[petsc-users] Pipelined solvers PIPECG etc fail

Håkon Strandenes haakon at hakostra.net
Thu Nov 20 04:05:45 CST 2014

Hi,

First: thanks to the list and Barry for solving my previous problem on

Now a second problem: I want to try the pipelined KSP solvers, PIPECG in
particular. However, my program fails on the first KSPSolve() with the
message below. The same happens if I try PIPECR.

I have tried this on three MPI implementations, on and two of them fully
support MPI 3 (I have read
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/documentation/faq.html#pipelined). I am
using latest PETSc from Git repo.

I have tried to turn off the preconditioner without any effect.

The equation system is the result of a finite-volume discretization of a
Poisson-like equation if that helps anything. A normal CG solver works
like a charm, converging fast and effective.

Are there any tricks to get this working? Anything special I have to set
and/or define to get this solver running?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Håkon Strandenes

Error message:

[0]PETSC ERROR: --------------------- Error Message
[0]PETSC ERROR: Object is in wrong state
[0]PETSC ERROR: Use KSPConvergedSkip() with KSPNormType of KSP_NORM_NONE
[0]PETSC ERROR: See http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/documentation/faq.html
for trouble shooting.
[0]PETSC ERROR: Petsc Release Version 3.5.2, unknown
[0]PETSC ERROR: madns on a arch-linux2-c-debug named hakostra-kontor by
hakostra Thu Nov 20 11:04:28 2014
[0]PETSC ERROR: Configure options --prefix=/opt/petsc/git-debug/install
--with-shared-libraries --download-hypre --with-64-bit-indices
--with-hdf5 --with-hdf5-dir=/opt/HDF5/1.8.13/install --with-debugging
--with-debugger=gdb
[0]PETSC ERROR: #1 KSPConvergedDefault() line 710 in
/opt/petsc/git-debug/source/src/ksp/ksp/interface/iterativ.c
[0]PETSC ERROR: #2 KSPSolve_PIPECG() line 99 in
/opt/petsc/git-debug/source/src/ksp/ksp/impls/cg/pipecg/pipecg.c
[0]PETSC ERROR: #3 KSPSolve() line 459 in
/opt/petsc/git-debug/source/src/ksp/ksp/interface/itfunc.c
[0]PETSC ERROR: #4 findPressure() line 53 in /opt/MaDNS/source/src/FVM2.cpp