[petsc-users] Nullspaces for schur complement PCs

Dmitry Karpeyev karpeev at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Nov 12 23:07:20 CST 2014

I'm actually not proposing putting extra intelligence into the DM, but into
the ApplicationCtx
and the associated callbacks that the user can write.  The DM is used to
propagate this information
to the deeper levels of a nested solver hierarchy by "restricting" the
relevant ctx/callbacks to the split's subdm.
Restriction is a standard PETSc way of propagating information through the
solver hierarchy (e.g., MG, (N)ASM),
but it hasn't been used in the FieldSplit context.

Currently even a user-defined preconditioner for a Schur complement that
sits at a deeper level in the hierarchy
cannot be set very easily, especially when the solvers are configured
dynamically.

Yes, this does place a greater emphasis on DM, but not overly so, in my
view.