[petsc-users] Origin of f2cblaslapack source code

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Nov 11 18:37:55 CST 2014

  The tool is /bin/maint/toclapack.sh and is applied to the Fortran BLAS/LAPACK source. Credits are at the top of the file. We don't run the script each time but run the script once and generate a tarball which is downloaded on request.

   The testing of the source code for quad precision amounts to running the PETSc/TAO/SLEPc test suite, so it is not as extensive as it could be and only tests the functionality that we use. It would be great if someone figured out how to do a comprehensive test suite.

   I love quad precision but the general numerical computing community doesn't seem to care much about it hence such tools are really underdeveloped. I don't know of other commonly used numerical packages besides PETSc/TAO/SLEPc that that advantage of the __float128 support in GNU.

   Barry

  The Netlib effort to generate C code from Fortran BLAS/LAPACK source is really a piss-poor effort.