[petsc-users] Question about dm_view

Sun, Hui hus003 at ucsd.edu
Thu May 29 11:04:39 CDT 2014

A continuing problem: While I was running ./ex5, the output is normal. When I was running ./ex5 -help | grep whatever, the output is still normal. However, when I tried ./ex5 -help | head -20, it output the first 20 lines from help, then it output the some error message. I'm curious why there is such an error message. The error message is pasted below.

[0]PETSC ERROR: ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[0]PETSC ERROR: Caught signal number 13 Broken Pipe: Likely while reading or writing to a socket
[0]PETSC ERROR: Try option -start_in_debugger or -on_error_attach_debugger
[0]PETSC ERROR: or see http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-as/documentation/troubleshooting.html#Signal[0]PETSC ERROR: or try http://valgrind.org on GNU/linux and Apple Mac OS X to find memory corruption errors
[0]PETSC ERROR: configure using --with-debugging=yes, recompile, link, and run
[0]PETSC ERROR: to get more information on the crash.
[0]PETSC ERROR: --------------------- Error Message ------------------------------------
[0]PETSC ERROR: Signal received!
[0]PETSC ERROR: ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[0]PETSC ERROR: Petsc Release Version 3.1.0, Patch 8, Thu Mar 17 13:37:48 CDT 2011
[0]PETSC ERROR: See docs/changes/index.html for recent updates.
[0]PETSC ERROR: See docs/faq.html for hints about trouble shooting.
[0]PETSC ERROR: See docs/index.html for manual pages.
[0]PETSC ERROR: ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[0]PETSC ERROR: ./ex5 on a darwin-op named blablabla by blablabla Thu May 29 08:57:47 2014
[0]PETSC ERROR: Libraries linked from /usr/local/petsc-3.1-p8/darwin-opt/lib
[0]PETSC ERROR: Configure run at Tue Mar 11 16:25:14 2014
[0]PETSC ERROR: Configure options --CC=/usr/local/openmpi-1.4.3/bin/mpicc --CXX=/usr/local/openmpi-1.4.3/bin/mpicxx --FC=/usr/local/openmpi-1.4.3/bin/mpif90 --LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/openmpi-1.4.3/lib -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/openmpi-1.4.3/lib" --PETSC_ARCH=darwin-opt --with-debugging=0 --with-hypre=1 --with-blas-lapack-lib --with-c++-support --download-hypre --download-f-blas-lapack --COPTFLAGS=-O3 --CXXOPTFLAGS=-O3 --FOPTFLAGS=-O3
[0]PETSC ERROR: User provided function() line 0 in unknown directory unknown file
MPI_ABORT was invoked on rank 0 in communicator MPI_COMM_WORLD
with errorcode 59.

NOTE: invoking MPI_ABORT causes Open MPI to kill all MPI processes.
You may or may not see output from other processes, depending on
exactly when Open MPI kills them.