[petsc-users] DIVERGED_INDEFINITE_PC in algebraic multigrid

Michele Rosso mrosso at uci.edu
Mon May 19 17:18:29 CDT 2014

Jed,

thanks for your reply.
By using the options you suggested, namely /-mg_levels_ksp_type
richardson -mg_levels_pc_type sor/, I was able to
solve without bumping into the DIVERGED_INDEFINITE_PC message.
Nevertheless, the number of iterations increases drastically as the
simulation progresses.
The Poisson's equation I am solving arises from a variable-density
projection method for incompressible multi-phase flows.
At each time step the system matrix coefficients change as a consequence
of the change in location of the heavier phase; the rhs changes
in time because of the change in the velocity field. Usually the
black-box multigrid or the deflated conjugate gradient method are used
to solve efficiently this type of problem: it is my understanding -
please correct me if I am wrong - that AMG is a generalization of the
former.
The only source term acting is gravity; the hydrostatic pressure is
removed from the governing equation in order to accommodate periodic
boundary conditions: this is more a hack than a clean solution. Could it
be the reason behind the poor performances/ DIVERGED_INDEFINITE_PC
problem I am experiencing?
Thanks,

Michele