[petsc-users] questions about the SNES Function Norm

Xiangdong epscodes at gmail.com
Fri May 2 12:53:52 CDT 2014

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 10:21 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On May 1, 2014, at 9:12 PM, Xiangdong <epscodes at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I came up with a simple example to demonstrate this "eliminating row"
> behavior. It happens when the solution x to the linearized equation Ax=b is
> out of the bound set by SNESVISetVariableBounds();
> >
> > In the attached example, I use snes to solve a simple function x-b=0.
> When you run it, it outputs the matrix as 25 rows, while the real Jacobian
> should be 5*5*2=50 rows. If one changes the lower bound in line 125 to be
> -inf, it will output 50 rows for the Jacobian. In the first case, the norm
> given by SNESGetFunctionNorm and SNESGetFunction+VecNorm are also different.
> >
> > In solving the nonlinear equations, it is likely that the solution of
> the linearized equation is out of bound, but then we can reset the
> out-of-bound solution to be lower or upper bound instead of eliminating the
> variables (the rows). Any suggestions on doing this in petsc?
>
>    This is what PETSc is doing. It is using the "active set method".
> Variables that are at their bounds are “frozen” and then a smaller system
> is solved (involving just the variables not a that bounds) to get the next
> search direction.  Based on the next search direction some of the variables
> on the bounds may be unfrozen and other variables may be frozen. There is a
> huge literature on this topic. See for example our buddies    • Nocedal,
> Jorge; Wright, Stephen J. (2006). Numerical Optimization (2nd ed.). Berlin,
> New York: Springer-Verlag. ISBN 978-0-387-30303-1..
>
>    The SNESGetFunctionNorm and SNESGetFunction+VecNorm  may return
> different values with the SNES VI solver. If you care about the function
> value just use SNESGetFunction() and compute the norm that way. We are
> eliminating SNESGetFunctionNorm() from PETSc because it is problematic.
>
>    If you think the SNES VI solver is actually not solving the problem, or
> giving the wrong answer than please send us the entire simple code and
> we’ll see if we have introduced any bugs into our solver. But note that the
> linear system being of different sizes is completely normal for the solver.

Here is an example I do not quite understand. I have a simple function F(X)
= [x1+x2+100 ; x1-x2; x3+x4; x3-x4+50]. If I solve this F(X)=0 with no
constraint, the exact solution is [x1=-50; x2=-50; x3=-25; x4=25].

If I specify the constraint as x2>=0 and x4>=0, I expect the solution from
one iteration of SNES is [-50, 0,-25,25], since the constraint on x2 should
be active now. However, the petsc outputs the solution [-50, 0, 0, 0].
Since x3 and x4 does not violate the constraint, why does the solution of
x3 and x4 change (note that x3 and x3 are decoupled from x1 and x2)? In
this case, the matrix obtained from KSPGetOperators is only 2-by-2, so two
variables  or constraints are eliminated.

Another thing I noticed is that  constraints x2>-1e-7 and x4>-1e-7 gives
solution [-50,-1e-7,-25,25]; however, constraints x2>-1e-8 and x4>-1e-8
gives the solution [-50,0,0,0].

Attached please find the simple 130-line code showing this behavior. Simply
commenting the line 37 to remove the constraints and modifying line 92 to
change the lower bounds of x2 and x4.

Thanks a lot for your time and help.

Best,
Xiangdong