[petsc-users] Using operators in KSP

Sun, Hui hus003 at ucsd.edu
Mon Jun 16 00:40:40 CDT 2014

Thank you Barry and Jed for answering my question. Here is another question: If I have a nonlinear PDE, for example, Poisson Boltzmann with an inhomogeneous dielectric constant epsilon. I want to solve for psi, but not epsilon. But to form the SetFunctionLocal, one needs to provide psi as well as epsilon.

The user defined function which is passed to DMDASNESSetFunctionLocal should be of the format
PetscErrorCode (*func)(DMDALocalInfo*,void*,void*,void*),
where the first void* corresponds to x, the dimensional pointer to state at which to evaluate residual; and the second void* corresponds to f, the dimensional pointer to residual, write the residual here; and the third void* is the optional context passed above.

The scalar field epsilon is not part of x, neither is it part of f, it seems that the only choice is to pass it in the third void*. However, if I have some other parameters, should I set up a struct, which includes those other parameters, and a distributed Vec for epsilon, and pass it in the third void*?

Best,
Hui