[petsc-users] mumps running out of memory, depending on an overall numerical factor?

David Liu daveliu at mit.edu
Fri Jan 31 16:53:53 CST 2014

Hi, I'm solving a 3d problem with mumps. When I increased the grid size to
70x60x20 with 6 unknowns per point, I started noticing that the program was
crashing at runtime at the factoring stage, with the mumps error code:

-17 The internal send buffer that was allocated dynamically by MUMPS on the
processor is too small.
The user should increase the value of ICNTL(14) before calling MUMPS again.

However, when I increase the grid spacing in the z direction by about 50%,
this crash does not happen.

Why would how much memory an LU factorization uses depend on an overall
numerical factor (for part of the matrix at least) like this?