[petsc-users] Configuration of Hybrid MPI-OpenMP

Danyang Su danyang.su at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 12:28:05 CST 2014

Hi All,

Is it possible to configure PETSc with support for hybrid MPI-OpenMP?
My codes have a lot of OpenMP instructions and work well. I have
implemented PETSc solver in the codes and the solver can also work and
help to speedup. Currently I have the following question:

1. If I configure PETSc with OpenMP, the OpenMP instructions work well
and I can see the significant speedup in this part, but the speedup for
the solver is very small or no speedup. I have asked the question
before, maybe this is due to the bus bandwidth. Not sure on it.

2. If I configure PETSc with MPI, the speedup for the solver is
significant, but the OpenMP instructions cannot work. The section with
OpenMP instructions runs even 10 times slower.

I tried to configure PETSc with both MPI and OpenMP enabled, but failed.

BTW: I have also tried to use "PETSc for WINDOWS2.0"
(http://www.msic.ch/Software). Both the OpenMP instructions and PETSc
solver (MPI) can work well, but the solver speedup is not as significant
as compiling in CYGWIN with PETSc 3.4.3. Usually the speedup of solver
is 1.5 times slower.

Is it possible to configure PETSc with Hybrid MPI-OPenMP? How?

Thanks and regards,

Danyang