[petsc-users] reusing LU factorization?

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jan 28 16:04:41 CST 2014

On Jan 28, 2014, at 1:36 PM, David Liu <daveliu at mit.edu> wrote:

> Hi, I'm writing an application that solves a sparse matrix many times using Pastix. I notice that the first solves takes a very long time,

  Is it the first “solve” or the first time you put values into that matrix that “takes a long time”? If you are not properly preallocating the matrix then the initial setting of values will be slow and waste memory.  See http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/Mat/MatXAIJSetPreallocation.html

  The symbolic factorization is usually much faster than a numeric factorization so that is not the cause of the slow “first solve”.

   Barry