[petsc-users] Prometheus vs GAMG for elasticity/plasticity problems

Thomas Gross tgross at ilsb.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Jan 28 16:00:26 CST 2014

I have now compiled Petsc 3.2.0 with Prometheus and Petsc 3.4.3 with GAMG using the same compiler. Furthermore I am using the same MPI implementation for both runs. Still Prometheus is considerably faster (see attached log files).

Prometheus:
-ksp_type cg -pc_type prometheus -log_summary -ksp_monitor -ksp_view -options_left > Prometheus_Large_Log_New.txt

Gamg:
-ksp_type cg -pc_type gamg -pc_gamg_type agg -pc_gamg_agg_nsmooths 1 -log_summary -ksp_monitor -ksp_view -options_left -mg_levels_ksp_max_it 1 > GAMG_Large_max_it_log_New.txt
-ksp_type cg -pc_type gamg -pc_gamg_type agg -pc_gamg_agg_nsmooths 1 -log_summary -ksp_monitor -ksp_view -options_left mg_levels_ksp_type richardson -mg_levels_pc_type sor > GAMG_Large_Rich_Log_New.txt

Best
Thomas