[petsc-users] PETSC with LBFGS solver

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Wed Jan 22 11:42:27 CST 2014

Please always use "reply-all" so that your messages go to the list.
This is standard mailing list etiquette.  It is important to preserve
threading for people who find this discussion later and so that we do
not waste our time re-answering the same questions that have already
been answered in private side-conversations.  You'll likely get an
answer faster that way too.

Bin Li <icelee.lee at gmail.com> writes:

> Dear Jed,
>
> If we use SNESSetFunction  with -snes_type qn, then I do not need call
>
> SNESSetJacobian( ), the Jacobian approximation was done in the qn.c code.

No, standard BFGS does not use the Jacobian, but if you want to use
"jacobian" scaling (as in the paper), you need to SNESSetJacobian.