[petsc-users] SNES convergence conditons

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 12:53:20 CST 2014

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 12:46 PM, Dharmendar Reddy
<dharmareddy84 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>         I have a doubt regarding error condition for SNES. For F(X) =
> 0, where X is a vector X = [x1 x2 x3 ....]', my understanding is, for
> convergence criteria based on X, SNES checks for

Convergence criteria should depend on what physics you want to resolve,
the experiments you want to compare with, etc. I don't think we can tell you
what to use. However,

  a) Your use of dX below is strange. Tolerances like these are vulnerable
       stagnation of the iteration and I would never use them. PETSc uses
something like

      norm2(F(x^k))/norm2(F(x^0)) < relTol || norm2(F(x^k)) < absTol

      which will tell you whether you have actually solved the equations

  b) The choice of norm depends on what needs to be accurate. norm2 is
appropriate
       for energies (and other quadratic things), whereas norm1 makes sense
for mass
       (and additive things). I don't have a physical motivation for
norm_inf.

  c) You can always set your own convergence test

   Matt

1) norm2(dX)/(rTol*norm2(X) + absTol) < 1 and converged if true.