[petsc-users] non linear solver options

Karl Rupp rupp at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Jan 19 04:16:37 CST 2014

Hi,

> My plan is to use the discretization method described here.
> (http://www.iue.tuwien.ac.at/phd/triebl/node30.html ).

It always strikes me how small the world is: I met Oliver Triebl just
yesterday ;-)

> The method typically used for for stabilizing the advection term is
> called Scharfetter-Gummel method described the above link.

Ok, good, so you know how to deal with it. :-)

> When i intially started the code design, i wanted to implement the
> approach mentioned  in this paper (dx.doi.org/10.2172/1020517) . I am
> still learning about this things so..i am not sure which is the right
> way to go.

You might want to have a look here:
http://www.iue.tuwien.ac.at/phd/fischer/node89.html
Unfortunately it is in German (use your favorite translator), but it is
a good summary on the various attempts on stabilizing the DD system with
Newton. From my own experience I can say that the damping described in
9.2.3 works surprisingly well and is also the one we implemented in
ViennaSHE [1], where we use the solution of a DD solver for a full
solution of the Boltzmann transport equation. I can dig out the
parameters if required. Using this criterion with SNES should be
straight-forward, but I haven't tried yet.

Best regards,
Karli