[petsc-users] KSP: domain decomposition and distribution

Dave May dave.mayhem23 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 05:34:29 CST 2014

Please check out the manual page for MatSetSizes()

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/Mat/MatSetSizes.html

Basically you have two choices:

1/ Define the global size of the matrix and use PETSC_DECIDE for the local
sizes.
In this case, PETSc will define the local row size in a manner such that
there are approximately the same number of rows on each process.

2/ Define the local sizes yourself and use PETSC_DETERMINE for the global
size.
Then you have full control over the parallel layout.

The following functions described by these pages

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/Mat/MatGetSize.html

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/Mat/MatGetLocalSize.html

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/Mat/MatGetOwnershipRanges.html

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/Mat/MatGetOwnershipRangesColumn.html

might also be useful for you in double checking what the matrix
decomposition looks like

Cheers,
  Dave