[petsc-users] [KSP] Different behaviour between

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 12:36:27 CST 2014

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 12:06 PM, Norihiro Watanabe <norihiro.w at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I got a strange problem with PETSc 3.4 that linear equations assembled in
> our FEM codes cannot be solved within 5000 iterations, whereas linear
> equations loaded from binary files can be solved with only 24 iterations
> using ksp/examples/tutorials/ex10.c. The binary files were created by the
> FEM codes using MatView() and VecView() right before calling KSPSolve().
> Linear solver types are -ksp_type bcgs -pc_type bjacobi. I set the same
> tolerance to both programs.
>
> As you can see from attached log files, both programs calculate the same
> "true resid norm" at the beginning but different "preconditioned resid
> norm". Does it mean both programs are actually solving the same problem but
> somewhat with different preconditoner? It would be so helpful if you have
> any clue for this problem.

Yes, that would be the likely conclusion. It appears that the parallel
partition is the same, that the number of nonzeros in both
matrices is the same, and that the solvers are identical. Thus I would make
sure that the matrices are indeed identical. For example,
you can MatLoad the matrix you used in ex10, and MatAXPY() to get the
difference. It is a common error to forget to MatZeroEntries()
before reassembling the FEM operator which can produce the convergence
degredation you see.