[petsc-users] DMDA questions

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Feb 28 15:48:58 CST 2014

On Feb 28, 2014, at 3:27 PM, Xiangdong <epscodes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 4:21 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 1:16 PM, Xiangdong <epscodes at gmail.com> wrote:
> If I assembly the matrix with MatSetValuesStencil and use KspSetOpreators for Ksp, do I need to call KspSetDM first?
>
> No
>
> What is the key difference or advantage of using KspSetComputeOperators against KspSetOperators?
>
> With the later, you have to manage creating and preallocating the matrix.
>
> If I use DMCreateMatrix and MatSetValuesStencil, I do not need to preallocate the matrix.

   Correct.

   The SetComputeOperators and KSPSetDM is useful if you wish to use multigrid on system since PCMG will call your compute operators function on each level for you automatically. See src/ksp/ksp/examples/tutorials/ ex25.c ex28.c ex29.c ex31.c ex32.c ex34.c ex45.c ex50.c   If you are just solving the one system and not using multigrid then there is no particular advantage in SetComputeOperators and KSPSetDM

   Barry