[petsc-users] Eigenvalues calculations in PETSc

Richard Mills rtm at utk.edu
Thu Feb 27 00:01:19 CST 2014

Qin,

Krylov methods will find the extreme eigenvalues first (unless you do
something in particular to get at the interior values), so this is what you
are getting from PETSc.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the eigenvalue estimates using the
Hessenberg matrix from GMRES can be pretty terrible.  If you want something
better, you may want to use something like Arnoldi/Lanczos or
Jacobi-Davidson.  Yousef Saad's book at
http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~saad/eig_book_2ndEd.pdf offers some great
explanations of these methods, which you can use via the PETSc-based SLEPc
package.

Cheers,
Richard