[petsc-users] ISLocalToGlobalMappingApplyIS switches communicator?

De Groof, Vincent Frans Maria Vincent.De-Groof at uibk.ac.at
Mon Feb 24 08:57:07 CST 2014

Hi,

I have an IS object, which lists per process certain DOFs in local numbering. I want to get the global numbering, so I apply ISLocalToGlobalMappingApplyIS. However, while I can view them in local numbering using the ISView(ISLocal, PETSC_VIEWER_STDOUT_WORLD), I cannot view them in global numbering using ISView(ISGlobal, VIEWER_STDOUT_WORLD). It complains that "Arguments must have same communicators".

Is this normal? Can someone explain what is happening? I assumed that the ISLocalToGlobalMappingApplyIS would just copy the communicator from the local IS.

Code snippet:

IS ISLocal, ISGlobal;
ierr = ISCreateGeneral(PETSC_COMM_WORLD, nvtx, vtx_idx, PETSC_COPY_VALUES, &ISLocal); CHKERRQ(ierr);
ierr = ISLocalToGlobalMappingApplyIS(ISg2lMap, ISLocal, &ISGlobal); CHKERRQ(ierr);
ISView(ISLocal, PETSC_VIEWER_STDOUT_WORLD);
ISView(ISGlobal, PETSC_VIEWER_STDOUT_WORLD);   <-- returns the error.

thanks,
Vincent