[petsc-users] petsc install

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Feb 6 16:35:34 CST 2014

On Thu, 6 Feb 2014, Matthew Knepley wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 3:35 PM, Dharmendar Reddy <dharmareddy84 at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >          I use the petsc next via git to work on my local machine
> > (windows). Now i need to move my work to the server (linux) which has
> > no internet access ( i can talk to bitbucket from the server). The
> > only way i can transfer files between the machines is via ftp from
> > local machine to linux server.
> >
> > 1. ) I want to download the external packages on the local machine and
> > transfer the files to the server for installation. Is there a
> > configuer flag which will just download the external packages used by
> > petsc ?
> >

> You can always use --download-<package>=<path/to/tarball>. We do not have a
> flag
> that just downloads tarballs.
>
> Satish, can you just use an SSH tunnel for this?

I'm not sure how ssh will fit here - but you can just rsync/copy
PETSC_ARCH/externalpackages over to the secure machine [from local
machine] - and configure with --download-<packagename>=1 [using the same PETSC_ARCH]

Or as Matt mentioned - download the tarballs to your local machine
[the URL will be in package.py for the corresponding package] - and
then copy the tarballs over to this machine - and use with

 --download-<package>=<path/to/tarball>

> > 2.) How do i keep my server copy in sync with petsc-next ? when ever i
> > want to do a pull.
> >

> I would just point it at a repo on the server, and keep that one up to date.

Since you can access this sever from your local machine [presumably by
ssh] - I would do a pull [from bitbucket] and push to the repo on this
server from your local machine.

i.e do the following from your local machine"

git pull <from bitbucket>
git push ssh://[user@]host.xz[:port]/path/to/repo.git/

Satish