[petsc-users] Multi level DM Shell

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 17:42:24 CST 2014

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 4:13 PM, Luc Berger-Vergiat <lb2653 at columbia.edu>wrote:

> Would there be a better option than a DMShell to do define fieldsplits of
> a matrix already assembled?
> The matrix comes from an FEM code and has boundary conditions applied to
> it before it is passed to PETSc.
> A DMShell seems like a good option since it does not require any
> particular knowledge on the underlying mesh of the problem.
> But is there another DM type supporting the DMCreateSubDM function, can
> work on a matrix coming from an FEM unstructured quad mesh with BCs applied
> to it?
> Maybe DMPlex? though I am not sure that FEM meshes can be described as
> Hasse Diagram all the time especial quad meshes...

Yes, DMPlex can handle that, but that is not the point for DMCreateSubDM().
You could have a DMShell, but define your
layout with a PetscSection if you wanted. I assume "with BC applied" means
that constrained dofs are eliminated from the
system. If you need help setting up the PetscSection, I can walk you
through it.

   Matt