[petsc-users] Aborting outer iterations when inner iterations reach maxits fieldsplit

James MBewu james.mbewu at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 12:58:21 CST 2014

Hi all petsc gurus,

I am solving Navier Stokes equations using Q2-Q1 elements via libmesh and
using petsc fieldsplit schur complement etc for the solving I was wondering
whether it was possible to abort the outer iterations of the solver if the
inner solver reached a set maximum iterations. At the moment if I set the
maximum iterations of the inner solver, then once that is reached, the
outer iterations continue and another inner solve is performed. Essentially
I would like to say "I can't solve the inner problem so let's just give up
on the whole thing". Is there any (easy) way to do this?

Please advise, thanks,
James