[petsc-users] How can PETSc configure with MSMPI

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Sun Feb 2 12:52:38 CST 2014

Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> writes:
> I don't think this is apples-to-apples since there are later versions
> of PETSc that do everything the earlier versions do. This is a case of
> the developer getting run over by a bus (or at least their courage)
> and us finding a way to keep the functionality.

We removed DMMG, which is "loss of functionality" in the sense that old
code doesn't work without significant refactoring.  We got rid of it
because it was high-maintenance and non-composable.  It's not perfect
parity, but Windows/Cygwin was dropped because it was high-maintenance,
so it's not that different.  Developer time is in limited supply and
Windows users tend to prefer binary installs and non-Cygwin solutions,
so they're more prone to grumble about your Windows support than to
thank you for maintaining it on a volunteer basis.

We can disagree with the decision of the MPICH project, but I see their
rationale.