[petsc-users] Troubles updating my code from PETSc-3.4 to 3.5 Using MUMPS for KSPSolve()

Marc MEDALE marc.medale at univ-amu.fr
Fri Dec 19 05:39:04 CST 2014

Barry,

First of all I would like to thank you very much for the time you have spent on this problem.

>    Attached I plotted the solution (as a 1d vector for all the solvers), as you can see all the answers are very different.

Secondly I am well aware of most of the many limits in solving very ill-conditioned systems, however the reason that I keep going with that is I want to take advantage of direct solvers for computing bifurcation diagrams in incompressible fluid flow problems with a method that transforms the original non-linear problem into a set of linear ones, with the same operator but different rhs (further details can be found in [1]).

[1] B. Cochelin and M. Medale. Power series analysis as a major breakthrough to improve the efficiency of Asymptotic Numerical Method in the vicinity of bifurcations. J. Comput. Phys., Vol. 236, 594-607, 2013.

> Interesting when I ran with MUMPS on 1 and 2 processors using PETSc 3.5p2 (actually the maint branch) I get a solution very near your "old" solution. I do not know if the quad precision solution is "accurate" but I am pretty confident that all the other answers are equally valid and equally worthless.

I agree with you that except quad precision all other solutions can be worthless, but in our method it is only in the vicinity of the bifurcation point that the algebraic system degenerates and becomes close to singular, so I have to know what is the reliability limit to switch to an augmented system that recovers a more convenient condition number, but at more than twice the original cost.

> How do you know the "old" mumps solution is correct and the new mumps solution wrong?

After any changes or upgrade to new PETSc versions I use to run tests which compare the outputs between previous release and the new one. And I was very surprised to see such huge differences in outputs, for components that haven't been told to be changed in the changes_3.5 log file (neither KSP nor MUMPS were told to be changed in the changes from PETSc-3.4 to 3.5).

So, as longtime PETSc user (and aficionado), I would greatly appreciate you give me some hints about the following fundamental question: what are the changes that have been done in PETSc to change in such a way the solution computed by the MUMPS solver throughout the PETSc interface?

Thank you again for your time and pertinent explanations, as usual. Have a good day.

Marc MEDALE