[petsc-users] GAMG with more than one DOF

David Scott d.scott at ed.ac.uk
Tue Dec 16 09:12:38 CST 2014

On 12/12/2014 16:07, Matthew Knepley wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 8:58 AM, David Scott <d.scott at ed.ac.uk
> <mailto:d.scott at ed.ac.uk>> wrote:
>
>     How can I get GAMG to take into account the fact that I have more
>     than one degree of freedom per node when it is producing a coarser
>     grid? I am dealing with a problem in structural mechanics and have
>     an unstructued grid. The matrix is read from a file produced by
>     another application. The components of the displacement for a node
>     are grouped together.
>

> GAMG uses the block size from the matrix. Did you set that?
>
>   Thanks,
>
>      Matt

I did set the block size but I had a strange result from one of my runs
and I wanted to check that I had done the right thing. I had seen the
performance improvement that I expected for a 10^6 x 10^6 matrix but not
for a 10^7 x 10^7 matrix (for which the performance was worse). I have
subsequently tried a matrix of intermediate size for which I did see a
performance improvement. I'll try to find out what is happening with the
largest matrix.

Thanks,

David