[petsc-users] How to call a lapack routine in the petsc?

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Dec 11 22:09:30 CST 2014

> On Dec 11, 2014, at 9:54 PM, Fande Kong <fdkong.jd at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Barry,
>
> Thanks.
>
> I know how to solve a dense linear system in the petsc, but I was wondering how to call a Lapack routine in the petsc.

   You asked how to call a lapack routine to solve a dense linear system. That is exactly what I told you. For seqdense matrices PETSc lu solvers directly call the LAPACK routines to do the factorization and the solves.

   Sure it is possible to call LAPACK routines directly to solve a sequential dense linear system but there is no reason to do that since PETSc does it for you. For dense matrices of dimension 10 or larger the overhead of calling through PETSc is negligible so there is no good reason to call lapack directly.

  Barry