[petsc-users] SNESSetFunctionDomainError

Derek Gaston friedmud at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 22:32:34 CDT 2014

On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 11:45 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>      What are your current needs? Do you want the program to just end in
> this case or do you want some kind of recovery when the matrix-free
> multiply causes a domain error?
>
>   Barry

Sorry it took me a while to get back... and I really appreciate al of the
discussion surrounding this issue!

Currently what I need is for everything about the nonlinear solve (which is
typically JFNK) to stop - but for the program to _not_ exit.  In particular
I need to never run another residual evaluation for this nonlinear solve
(because something made it into an invalid state).

As a workaround I have tried returning various "diverged" statuses in my
linear and nonlinear convergence checks... but it still has a pesky problem
where there are a couple more residual evaluations at the "end" of the
nonlinear solve.

I may be able to work around that... but if there was any way that I could
do a "snes->stop = true;" and have the whole thing just STOP (immediately,
with no questions asked).... that would be cool :-)

Thanks!

Derek