[petsc-users] PETSc/petsc4py error detection

Nicola Creati ncreati at inogs.it
Tue Aug 26 01:33:11 CDT 2014

Hello,
I'm writing a large application in Python that uses petsc4py to solve
some equations. Running my code I note that PETSc detects errors in
sections (I believe in Cython extensions and packages) where petsc4py is
not imported or used. I do not need to fix the problem, I already did
it. Is there a way to avoid petsc4py/PETSc to catch errors in not PETSc
sections of the code?
This is an example of the error message I got:

[0]PETSC ERROR:
[0]PETSC ERROR: Caught signal number 11 SEGV: Segmentation Violation,
probably memory access out of range
[0]PETSC ERROR: Try option -start_in_debugger or -on_error_attach_debugger
[0]PETSC ERROR: or see
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/documentation/faq.html#valgrind[0]PETSC
ERROR: or try http://valgrind.org on GNU/linux and Apple Mac OS X to
find memory corruption errors
[0]PETSC ERROR: likely location of problem given in stack below
[0]PETSC ERROR: ---------------------  Stack Frames
------------------------------------
[0]PETSC ERROR: Note: The EXACT line numbers in the stack are not available,
[0]PETSC ERROR:       INSTEAD the line number of the start of the function
[0]PETSC ERROR:       is given.
mpiexec noticed that process rank 0 with PID 25694 on node daisy exited
on signal 11 (Segmentation fault).

I'm using Python 2.7.6, petsc4py 3.4 and PETSc 3.4.3.

Thanks.

Nicola

Nicola Creati
Istituto Nazionale di Oceanografia e di Geofisica Sperimentale - OGS
IRI (Ricerca Teconologica e Infrastrutture) Department
B.go Grotta Gigante - Brisciki 42/c
34010 Sgonico - Zgonik (TS) - Italy
Tel. +39-0402140213
Fax  +39-040327307