[petsc-users] Petsc with mumps single precision

Sylvain Mercier sylvainmercier85 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 09:59:20 CDT 2014

Thank you Matthew and Hong.

That's too bad...
I was wondering if it would be possible to add this alternative only in the
MUMPS interface.
Indeed, in the field of solid mechanics (where 3D, beams and shell are
often mixed thanks to Lagrange multipliers), it's very usefull to factorize
a matrix in single precision thanks to MUMPS, and use it to precondition a
sequence of systems solved in double precision. It turns to be very robust
and quite fast.

In  *src/mat/impls/aij/mpi/mumps/mumps.c,*
<http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/src/mat/impls/aij/mpi/mumps/mumps.c.html#MATSOLVERMUMPS>
new type, say PetscMumpsSingleScalar, could be defined in order to pass the
required information to the single precision
MUMPS solver.

Would the Petsc team accept to integrate such a feature?

Thanks,
Sylvain