[petsc-users] Variational Inequality and semi-smooth problem

Khai Hong Pham khaipham at utexas.edu
Tue Aug 12 16:12:33 CDT 2014

Hello,

I have to solve a nonlinear problem with the box constraints on the
variables. The SNESVI is an ideal candidate. But I have an issue with
calling to  SNESVISetVariableBounds
<http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/SNES/SNESVISetVariableBounds.html#SNESVISetVariableBounds>
which
are reported by Abhyankar and Que at
https://www.mail-archive.com/petsc-users@mcs.anl.gov/msg22094.html. Could
anyone know what happens as we call to this routine?

I also rely on the penalization method as a way to impose the box
contraints. But, with adding the penalization term, the original smooth
problem becomes semi-smooth and will have problem with line search. Is
there any solver type in Petsc which can deal with semi-smooth problem?

Thanks,

Khai