[petsc-users] Structured multi-block topology

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 17:03:32 CDT 2014

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 2:47 PM, Mark Lohry <mlohry at gmail.com> wrote:

> Most common use case would be from 1 to 15 blocks or so, although I
> have occasionally seen need for 100+. This also brings to mind a
> question I had about more general connectivity in single-block domains
> like a C-mesh, where you have halo dependencies to itself that are not
> simply "periodic."

Jed and I have discussed this. DMComposite is really not great for even
moderate numbers of blocks because it serializes. Also, the real performance
advantage of structured blocks is saturated by a small number of structured
cells (32 or so), and thus large structured pieces do not make a lot of
sense
(this is the same intuition behind the performance of spectral elements).
Our
recommendation is to have a coarse unstructured mesh with regular refinement
inside each coarse cell. This is something we could really support well. Its
not all there yet, but we have all the pieces.

> As far as the difficult task of setting up the communication, is that
> even possible to do manually without treating everything as fully
> unstructured? What other packages are out there for multi block
> structured domains?

There is Overture.

   Matt