[petsc-users] KSP in OpenMP Parallel For Loop

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Apr 15 17:27:45 CDT 2014

  David,

   After wrestling with several problems on this I realized that this branch only works if one is “lucky” in what they do. PETSc was originally written without regard to threads at all and in this branch I tried to “fix” all the cases where we accessed global variables so each thread could create and destroy its own objects. I did this in a way independent of the threading model you used (OpenMP or pthreads) by simply removing use of global variables, not by introducing model specific locks in PETSc code. Unfortunately you’ve stumbled across a situation that does not involve global variables but instead variables stored inside MPI attributes that different threads are changing (and since they are not protected by locks) end up with incorrect values which later causes crashes. Essentially the variables in the MPI attributes are like global variables because all the threads have access to them. To fix this would require putting a bunch of locks in PETSc code that deals with the MPI attributes.

  I’m sorry but this won’t happen soon. The only good news is that within a month we have a new guy revisiting PETSc’s own threading code (which focuses on several threads per object) and maybe between him and Jed they can expand that approach to handle the needs of "different objects for different threads” that you have.

  I wish we had such support currently but it greatly increases the complexity of the PETSc code so has to be done well or we’ll be totally screwed.

   Barry