[petsc-users] Dump a matrix to a .py file

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 09:43:39 CDT 2014

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 9:02 AM, Adriano Côrtes <adrimacortes at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm on a debugging process, and I'd like to know if there is a way of
> using PetscViewer to dump Mat and Vec objects to a .py file, to be
> load and manipulated with numpy/scipy to inspect some properties.

break in the debugger:

(gdb) call MatView(M, PETSC_VIEWER_BINARY_(PETSC_COMM_WORLD))

which writes the 'binaryoutput' file. Then in Python make sure you have
$PETSC_DIR/bin/pythonscripts in your PYTHONPATH, and

  >>> import PetscBinaryIO
  >>> io = PetscBinaryIO.PetscBinaryIO()
  >>> objects = io.readBinaryFile('file.dat')

I just tested this and it worked for me.

   Matt