[petsc-users] How to speed up geometric multigrid

Mark F. Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Mon Sep 23 11:48:55 CDT 2013

On Sep 23, 2013, at 12:27 PM, Michele Rosso <mrosso at uci.edu> wrote:

> The boundary conditions are periodic.
> The equation I am solving is:
>
>        div(beta*grad(u))= f
>
> where beta is 1 inside the gas phase, 0.001 inside the liquid phase and a value in between for the nodes close to the interface.

This is a pretty big jump for geometric MG.  You might try AMG.  I suspect that the geometry is getting more complex as the simulation progresses.  Does the simulation start with both phases?  Also this problem is singular.  You might try projecting out the constant.  It could be that as the geometry gets more complex floating point errors are creeping in and you are getting an effective constant component to your RHS.