[petsc-users] Dense matrix solver

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Sep 19 22:30:49 CDT 2013

Frank <fangxingjun0319 at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am thinking of solving a linear equations, whose coefficient matrix
> has 27 nonzero diagonal bands(diagonal dominant). Does any body have any
> idea about how this will perform? Do you have any recommendation about
> which solver to choose?

How far away from the diagonal are those bands, as a function of the
grid size (if relevant)?

http://scicomp.stackexchange.com/a/880/119
http://scicomp.stackexchange.com/a/869/119

> I have solved a 11 nonzero diagonal bands matrix equation with
> "boomeramg", which is 50% solwer than 7 nonzero diagonal bands.

This doesn't mean much of anything.  Send -log_summary if you have
performance questions.

Why does the subject of this email say "dense"?