[petsc-users] MATMPIBAIJ

Reza Yaghmaie reza.yaghmaie2 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 13:44:38 CDT 2013

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am very new to PETSC and I have some issues running my code.
I want to create a global M*1 matrix (not a vector since I want to multiply
this matrix with an other 1*M matrix and get a M*M matrix and I know that
transpose function on vectors does not work so this is why I need to have a
M*1 matrix)

I have used the below function and it works well for a M*M matrix
call MatCreateMPIBAIJ  (PETSC_COMM_WORLD,6,6*numpn,6*numpn,
     &          PETSC_DETERMINE, PETSC_DETERMINE,
     &          PETSC_NULL_INTEGER, mr(np(246)),
     &          PETSC_NULL_INTEGER, mr(np(247)),
     &          matdummy2, ierr)

I am trying to change it accordingly for the M*1 matrix

So I use the following function

call MatCreateMPIBAIJ  (PETSC_COMM_WORLD,alpha,m,n,
     &          PETSC_DETERMINE, PETSC_DETERMINE,
     &          PETSC_NULL_INTEGER, mr(np(246)),
     &          PETSC_NULL_INTEGER, mr(np(247)),
     &          mvecdummy1, ierr)

defining the following parameters respectively:
alpha=number of degrees of freedom per node=1
m=each processor number of rows=6*numpn
n=local number of columns=1
I think PETSC_DETERMINE represents the global number of rows and columns
respectively.
I think PETSC_NULL_INTEGER represents the number of nonzero terms in rows
in the diagonal matrix and off diagonal matrix respectively and mr(np(246),
mr(np(247) show the nnz terms in columns of diagonal and off diagonal
matrices.
mvecdummy1=the name of the matrix
ierr is just an error compliment in the subroutine.

The errors that I am getting are
d_nnz can not be less than 0
o_nnz can not be less than -1

Please guide me through this issue.