[petsc-users] any good references on matrix scaling

Umut Tabak u.tabak at tudelft.nl
Thu Sep 12 15:42:30 CDT 2013

On 09/12/2013 08:48 PM, Barry Smith wrote:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nondimensionalization
Hi Barry,

For the kind of problems, I am working on, this is a general problem and
unfortunately, it is not in general possible to get away from this
property with the scaling on the initial differential equations.

Moreover, the problem is two sided, a structure coupled to a fluid
domain, where the physics is already inducing different scaling and math
is obeying that ;-)

This was a problem I discussed here extensively last week. Solving
directly is not a problem, the challenge is, if possible, to use Schur
complements and iterative solution techniques, where the source of the
problem emerged from.

Thanks for the comments anyway.

BR,
Umut