[petsc-users] confusion on the use of fieldsplit

Umut Tabak u.tabak at tudelft.nl
Fri Sep 6 10:48:45 CDT 2013

Dear all,

I am trying to use PETSc to solve linear systems where the operator
matrices are composed of blocks. But I am having hard time to set up the
PCFieldSplit, and a bit lost in the documentation. I sucessfully created
the matrix represented as

=
A11 A12
A21 A22

with

MatCreateNest(PETSC_COMM_WORLD,nr,NULL,nc,NULL,sub_matrices,&blockA);

but I could not understand really the following steps on how to
associate a KSP object with Field split properties to use different
conditioners on different blocks? In the mean time, continue on reading.
If you can outline the basic steps on how to construct this scheme and
submit analysis with basic command line options, that would of great help.

By the way, is not possible to output blockA that is assembled above on
the standard output?

Best regards,
Umut